Saturday, August 8, 2009

8th August

I remember the 8th August, 2008. I was about 16 weeks pregnant with Alice. Happy that I no longer felt ill and that I had some energy back. So pleased I was past the 'scary' 12 weeks. Organising the purchase of our house. Counting down the days to spring and summer and until our baby was here. I remember that the Olympics were starting that night and I know I fell asleep well before they were on.

What I didn't know was that on the day some one's life was being changed forever. As I went throughout the day I had no idea that Monique, thousands of miles away, was giving birth to her beautiful son. Her beautiful son Samuel that had died. I had no idea of the pain and suffering and immense loss that Monique and Norm were going through on this day.

I found Monique not long after Alice had died. I read and cried. I still read and cry. I needed to be close to other women that knew how I felt and understood me. I needed them so I didn't feel so alone.

The way Monique writes about her Sam and her life and her loss resonates with me. I missed her when she was away and I was pleased when she returned. I thank her for being so honest and raw and for being a true friend from the other side of the world. I thank her for remembering Alice.

I wish that we had never met.

But now that we have, I will always be here.

4 comments:

Hope's Mama said...

Beautiful tribute to Monique, Norm and Sam. I too wish I never met any of you, but I don't like to think where I'd be without you all.
Thinking of Sam as our babyloss mama friends on the other side of the world all rise from their slumber to face the 8th today.

still life angie said...

Just beautiful. Remembering Sam and appreciating Monique's compassion and love during this journey.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much, especially for remembering Sam. Sending so much love. xo

Barbara said...

Missing Sam and Alice and all our lost babies alongside you.

xxx