Monday, June 1, 2009

meet...


Molly. Molly is our puppy, a giant lumbering 20 week old Golden Retriever puppy. Inspired by meeting Buddy, I thought I would introduce her to you all.


Although I had wanted another dog for many years (my darling Tippy died when I was 18), the journey to find Molly really began the day Alice died. I came home from hospital with an overwhelming need to have another baby. Right then. That minute. I spent hours on the computer that night reading stories of other baby lost mama's and crying. Crying and trying to breath.

Late in the night, my wandering mind led me to thinking about a dog. Some how I ended up at a Golden Retriever breeders website looking at her beautiful dogs. We had decided years ago that we would one day get a Golden Retriever - the lovable family dog. I wrote to the breeder and asked about puppies. The breeder replied the next day stating that her dog Katie ('Button's and Bows') was planning to have puppies in the following January. I almost fell over when I read that the dog was called 'Buttons'. Like it was meant to be. In my hysterical state, I told the breeder the story of our Alice Buttons. In turn she told me about her baby that died at 17 weeks. 15 years ago. And she told me she knew how I was feeling. And she really did. Not like the people telling you they know how you feel when you know they have no idea.

So we kept in contact. She often wrote to ask how I was doing. And she wrote to tell me that her son's friend lost her baby. Her precious baby died at 21 weeks. They were devastated. And we knew how she felt...

Molly was born after a difficult birth. I fell in love when we got the first photo. She can to live with us in March. A handful. But a delight.

Of course she is not a baby. Nothing can ever replace Alice. Not a hundred puppies or a hundred babies.


But she makes us smile as she steals the 10th shoe or another pair of knickers. As she runs off with the loaf of bread or as she offers up her warm tummy for a rub.

5 comments:

Hope's Mama said...

Nice to have you back, Rach. And hello Molly!

Barbara said...

Aw... Molly is loverly!

Yeah I have a kittie in my arms right now. I know, something to mother without being in any way a replacement...

Missed you Rach. Thinking of Alice Buttons.

xxx

Anonymous said...

OMG. Molly is just precious - so glad you have her. Much love to you & thinking of Alice Buttons

still life angie said...

Oh, Rach, Molly is so beautiful. We just got a puppy too (well a couple of months ago). Injecting some happy, goofy puppy vibes in our home has been great. I could watch him run and slide on the hardwood floors all day long. Lots of giggles, even amidst the crying. Thinking of you and dear Alice Buttons.

Ya Chun said...

so cute.

we resisted the urge to get another puppy (we have a dog and cat already), but we really wanted to have something cute and little to love on.